Business and Private Sector Development (PSD)
Private sector development (PSD) in developing countries is a necessity if countries are to become independent of foreign assistance and aid. Growth in the private sector creates new jobs and business opportunities that help lift people out of poverty, and enables developing countries to break the aid dependency cycle and leads to more stable societies.
PSD has been one of NCGs strongest areas of expertise since the company was established. NCG has provided advise for a broad range of clients, including multi- and bilateral aid agencies, governments and ministries, civil society and to the private sector itself. This has given NCG unique insights into the many challenges and potentials of private business in a developing country. There is still much to do to improve the conditions for private enterprise, in particular for the poorest groups – the “bottom of the pyramid”. NCG offers consultancy services within a broad specter of PSD:
- Diagnostic studies of private sector development as basis for elaborating policies, strategies and PSD programs.
- Market analysis, building and development, in particular with regard to making markets work for the poor.
- Economic and financial governance studies, assessments and advice.
- Women’s economic empowerment and their inclusion in markets and businesses.
- Establishment of private sector friendly business environments, and favorable regulatory conditions for pro-poor PSD.
- Value Chain Development.
- General entrepreneurship development, particularly to Small and Medium Enterprises (SME), including training of and consultancy to entrepreneurs.
- Design of inclusive financial systems, including microfinance.
- Appraisal, reviews and evaluations including management, technical, economic, financial and environmental aspects of Public Private Partnership projects.
- Privatization studies, including company valuation and development of memorandum of sale.
- Monitoring, reviews and evaluations of all types of PSD programs.
- Ensure effective development and implementation of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)-strategies in business development programs.
- Reviews of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) to meet the needs of PSD.